Honeywell has developed a software-driven radar system for a wide range of applications. The IntuVue RDR-84K band radar system uses multiple beams to “see” more things at the same time than any commercially available radar. In addition to detecting weather, the system can simultaneously scan and receive radar returns from aircraft, ground vehicles, buildings, and even people.
The RDR-84K represents the perfect blend of hardware and software. On the hardware side, it uses a unique phased-array design with electronically-steered beams rather than mechanical antennas, reducing size, weight, power consumption, and complexity. The radar is software adaptable so users can easily change and customize the system’s operation and performance parameters. For example, they can adjust the radar’s range to meet their specific needs or focus on certain types of objects. The radar is capable of discriminating between different types of targets.
Key features of the RDR-84K:
- It is very small and lightweight, enabling users to install and network multiple units on their platform to further expand situational awareness.
- Networked units work together to provide a seamless, 360-degree view of the world all around the platform.
- Able to detect multiple objects simultaneously, the new radar can replace other sensors (like conventional radars, IR and HD cameras, or LiDAR) on an autonomous platform, saving even more valuable real estate.
Key applications of RDR-84K:
- Aerial Detect and Avoid Systems: Traffic, terrain, obstacle detection, navigation, and landing guidance for manned aircraft and UAVs.
- Automotive and Marine: Tracking and obstacle detection for manned or autonomous vehicles.
- Airport Protection: Track and detect incursions for the safety and security of the facility and the public.
- Building and Infrastructure Security: Identify and track unmanned aerial attacks with high-resolution imaging out to 3 km.
- Border Protection: Ideal for monitoring both ground and air approaches to national borders.