Digi International has released the Digi XBee3 series of next-generation RF modules and cellular modems. These modules have a new micro form factor option, making them ideal for IoT Applications. The Digi XBee3 modules extend a modular approach to IoT connectivity, enabling the integration of new functions as needs arise and regional requirements change. They also offer MicroPython programmability and dual-mode radios that provide wireless design flexibility and enable easily added functionality for innovative IoT solutions that can be more quickly developed, prototyped and mass-produced.
The Digi XBee3 micro form factor (13mm X 19mm) is one of the industry's smallest MicroPython-programmable modules capable of providing RF connectivity for short range and Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) applications. It is one-third the size of the original Digi XBee RF module. The Digi XBee3 micro, when installed on interposer boards, automatically provides all the benefits inherent in the industry's smallest RF module capable of supporting the development of truly innovative, smart IoT solutions.
They are also available in the existing Digi XBee SMT and through-hole form factors. The through-hole form factor is ideal as a validation and migration platform for those requiring the advanced capabilities and features necessary to speed development, prototyping, or early-production phase. Digi XBee3 Cellular is available in its original, classic through-hole form factor.
With its reduced size, weight and power consumption, the new series is ideal for compact and battery-powered applications. It delivers multiple levels of programmability including dual-mode radios, MicroPython for both business rule and application logic, and the tools to manage it all. In addition to edge programmability, it offers a low-power microcontroller capable of delivering intelligence at the network edge, and the ability to switch between a variety of protocols without changing the device.
Featuring the built-in Digi TrustFence security framework, all Digi XBee3 products offer U.FL, Pad, or Chip antenna options. The series will be initially available in both RF (ZigBee 3.0, IEEE 802.15.4) and cellular options (Cellular Cat-1). Over the next several months, it will be software-upgradeable to Bluetooth LE and will also be available in additional RF protocols (DigiMesh and Wi-Fi) and two cellular modems (Cellular LTE-M and Cellular NB-IoT.)
Digi XBee3 Advanced Capabilities
- Easy over-the-air (OTA) changes to devices in the field for bug fixes and new features
- Dynamically reconfigurable, based upon situation
- Easily establish business rules to aggregate, store, transform and filter data via MicroPython programming capability
- Create alerts and alarms for priority data and device health
- Built-in support for advanced I/O including I2C, SPI, to drive modern sensors and actuators
- Provide control logic for devices that require a microcontroller, without electronics redesign
- With Digi Remote Manager, enables better bandwidth management via prioritization/ transmission of actionable information
- Dynamic changes to behavior as requested from cloud platforms such as AWS and Azure (e.g., enabling real-time decisions based on local conditions)
- Continue to operate during communications outages by dynamically executed logic that is not cloud-dependent
The Digi XBee3 ZigBee Mesh Kit is now available for evaluation and testing. The kit includes three Digi XBee3 modules along with three Digi XBee Grove Development Boards allowing customers to build a ZigBee mesh network right out of the box.