SemiProbe, a worldwide leader in the design and production of probing and inspection systems for the semiconductor industry, installed the SA-8 200 mm Semi-automatic probe system at VentureLAB. VentureLAB, a Canadian company located in Markham ON, started a new Hardware Initiative Lab to provide multiple measurement capabilities to Canadian companies, from start-ups to large companies.
VentureLAB required a semiautomatic probe system that allowed them to easily configure and meet a variety of device characterization capabilities for testing die, partial wafers, whole wafers, and packaged parts at temperatures ranging from -65 C to 200 C.
The SA-8 is built using SemiProbe’s patented Probe System for Life (PS4L) architecture which provides unsurpassed flexibility and significant capital equipment savings. With the PS4L, customers can purchase a semiautomatic 200 mm system that meets their precise specifications and requirements. Unlike traditional probe systems, all foundation modules – bases, stages, chucks, microscope mounts, microscope movements, optics, manipulators and more - are interchangeable, making the PS4L the consummate solution for many different applications and budgets. Additionally, as the environment or test conditions change, the PS4L can easily be field-upgraded to meet these new demands.
Key System Components of the SA-8 include:
- Probe System for Life PS4L SA-8 HF semiautomatic probe system consisting of: Vibration Isolation Table (VIT) with casters and leveling feet
- 200 mm Programmable X,Y,Z, and theta stage with control electronics
- Load Stroke – for easy device loading and unloading
- Large Platen with stainless steel skin for magnetic-based manipulators, removable front wedge, and linear platen lift (coarse and fine)
- Manipulators – four (4) manual MA-9000 with West/East and North/South HF, coaxial and triaxial probe arms
- Adjustable Package Part Holder – includes mounting plate for the thermal chuck
- Probe Card Holder
- Localized Environmental Chamber (LEC) – with top-hat and LEC cover plate, provides a light tight, EMI, and frost-free environment
- Microscope Post with microscope movement – coaxial and linear 100 mm X & Y travel
- Fusion Zoom Tube Compound Optics with long working distance objectives
- CCTV System – color camera, 24” color monitor and monitor stand
- PILOT Software Suite – Navigator, Wafer Map and Auto Align
- Two (2) customized tuner mounts for Focus Microwave Multi-Purpose Tuners, model MPT-1818 that operate from 1.8 GHz to 18 GHz
- Vacuum and Pressure Pumps – small footprint and quiet
The SA-8 semi-automatic system operates on the powerful PILOT control software suite, designed employing the same adaptive architecture philosophy as the PS4L hardware. PILOT is modular, intuitive and easy to learn. Additional control modules for added features and accessories can be implemented without changes to the core control software. This powerful DLL-based software allows users to quickly and easily communicate with the probe system and test instrumentation. It has RS-232, GPIB or TCP/IP interfaces to enable the system to be either a controller or a slave in an integrated solution.
A complete line of accessories is available for the PS4L including probe card holders, manipulators, probe arms and bases, probe tips, thermal chucks, environmental chambers, lasers, optics, CCTV systems, material handling (robotics for auto load), vibration isolation tables, dark boxes and more.
Click here to learn more about the SA-8 probe system.